It’s Camping Season! The Best Camp Lunches for Growing Bellies
Summer camp is a time for kids to have fun, make new friends, and enjoy outdoor activities! Amidst all the excitement— parents must ensure that kids have healthy and tasty meals to keep them energized and satisfied throughout the day. A well-balanced camp lunch not only provides the necessary nutrients for growing bodies but also helps to maintain their enthusiasm for the day's seemingly endless adventures.
Packing camp lunches can be a daunting task for many parents and caregivers. With a myriad of factors to consider, including food preferences, dietary restrictions, and the need for meals to be portable and easy to eat— it's no wonder that finding fresh and creative ideas for camp lunches can be a challenge. Furthermore, the meals should be interesting, appetizing, and kept fresh in the summer heat — which of course adds another layer of complexity to the process. Feeling overwhelmed yet?
Fear not! We have compiled a comprehensive list of summer meal ideas that cater to various tastes and dietary needs. Our suggestions include classic sandwiches and wraps, refreshing salads, snack boxes and bento-style lunches, cold noodle dishes, and practical tips on keeping the meals fresh throughout the day. By combining these ideas and using a little creativity, you can easily overcome the challenges of packing camp lunches and ensure that your child has a nutritious and enjoyable lunch. So, let's dive into the world of camp lunch ideas and discover how to make this summer a delicious one for your little campers!
Sandwiches and Wraps
Classic Sandwich Options
- Turkey and Cheese: One can never go wrong with a classic turkey and cheese sandwich! Packed with protein and flavor— this sandwich is sure to keep campers satisfied and energized. Opt for whole-grain bread, a healthy dose of lettuce and tomatoes, and consider using mustard or avocado as a spread for added nutritional value. Don't forget to pack it in an insulated container with an ice pack to keep it fresh.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly: A childhood favorite, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a simple yet delicious option for camp lunches. Choose a natural, no-sugar-added peanut butter and pair it with a low-sugar fruit spread or fresh fruit slices for a healthier take on this classic. Use whole-grain bread for added fiber and nutrients, and consider toasting the bread for a delightful twist.
- Ham and Cheese: The ham and cheese sandwich is another time-tested favorite that can be easily customized to suit individual preferences. Add some crunch with lettuce, cucumber, or pickles, and experiment with different types of cheese for a fun twist. Swap out the usual white bread for a whole-grain or seeded option, and consider using a flavored mayo or mustard for added depth.
Creative Sandwich/Wrap Ideas
- Veggie Hummus Wrap: For a healthy and delicious vegetarian option, consider the veggie hummus wrap. Load up a whole-grain tortilla with your favorite hummus flavor, and add an assortment of fresh, crunchy vegetables such as bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and spinach. Sprinkle with some crumbled feta cheese and a drizzle of lemon-tahini dressing for an extra burst of flavor.
- Chicken Caesar Wrap: Take a classic Caesar salad and transform it into a portable wrap by using a whole-grain tortilla, grilled chicken breast, crisp romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and a light Caesar dressing. For added nutrition, include some cherry tomatoes or sliced avocado. Pack the dressing separately and add it just before eating to prevent sogginess.
- Caprese Sandwich: For a taste of Italy in your camp lunch, try the Caprese sandwich. Layer thick slices of ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves on a crusty ciabatta roll. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and a touch of olive oil for an authentic Italian experience. To keep the sandwich from getting soggy, pack the balsamic glaze separately and assemble the sandwich right before eating.
- Pesto Pasta Salad: A refreshing and flavorful option, pesto pasta salad is a fantastic choice for a summer camp lunch. Combine cooked pasta of your choice with a generous amount of basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella pearls. Add a protein source such as grilled chicken or chickpeas for added sustenance, and don't forget to pack it in an insulated container to keep it fresh.
- Greek Pasta Salad: Transport your taste buds to the Mediterranean with a delicious Greek pasta salad. Toss cooked pasta with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, red onion, and feta cheese, then drizzle with a light Greek dressing. To amp up the nutrition, consider adding some chopped spinach or kale, and pack the dressing separately to avoid sogginess.
- BLT Pasta Salad: Combine the classic flavors of a BLT sandwich into a satisfying pasta salad. Mix cooked pasta with chopped bacon, lettuce, and tomato, and toss with a creamy ranch dressing. To make it even more scrumptious, add some cubed avocado and grated cheddar cheese. Remember to pack the dressing separately and mix it in right before eating.
- Quinoa and Black Bean Salad: For a protein-packed and nutritious lunch, try a quinoa and black bean salad. Combine cooked quinoa with black beans, corn, bell peppers, red onion, and cilantro, then toss with a zesty lime dressing. This salad is not only delicious but also gluten-free and vegan, making it an excellent option for those with dietary restrictions.
- Couscous Salad with Chickpeas and Vegetables: A vibrant and flavorful couscous salad is perfect for a summer camp lunch. Mix cooked couscous with chickpeas, chopped cucumber, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and parsley. Drizzle with a lemony dressing and toss in some crumbled feta cheese for an extra pop of flavor. Pack the dressing separately to maintain the salad's freshness.
- Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables: A hearty and nutritious option, a farro salad with roasted vegetables is sure to satisfy hungry campers. Combine cooked farro with a variety of roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes, and toss with a light balsamic dressing. Add some crumbled goat cheese or diced avocado for an extra dose of creaminess.
- Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese: A delightful combination of flavors and textures, a spinach salad with strawberries and goat cheese is perfect for a summer lunch. Layer fresh spinach leaves with sliced strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, and toasted almonds. Pack a light raspberry vinaigrette separately to drizzle over the top just before eating.
- Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken: A chopped salad with grilled chicken is a nutritious and filling option for camp lunches. Combine chopped romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, and grilled chicken breast, then toss with a light Italian dressing. Add some crumbled feta cheese or sliced avocado for extra flavor, and pack the dressing separately to maintain the salad's crunch.
- Asian-Inspired Slaw: For a unique and refreshing green salad option, try an Asian-inspired slaw. Toss shredded cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, and green onions with a zesty ginger-lime dressing, then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and slivered almonds for added crunch. Don’t forget to pack the dressing separately to keep the slaw fresh and crisp until lunchtime.
Snack Boxes and Bento-Style Lunches
Protein-Packed Snack Boxes
- Cheese, Crackers, and Deli Meat: A classic and satisfying combination, cheese, crackers, and deli meat make for a perfect protein-packed snack box. Choose whole-grain crackers, a variety of cheese slices or cubes, and lean deli meats like turkey or chicken. Add some cherry tomatoes or baby carrots for a pop of color and extra nutrients.
- Greek Yogurt, Granola, and Fruit: For a sweet and nutritious snack box, combine creamy Greek yogurt with crunchy granola and a selection of fresh fruit like berries, banana slices, or apple wedges. Choose a low-sugar granola and pack the yogurt and granola separately to maintain the crunchiness until it's time to eat.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs, Avocado, and Nuts: A combination of hard-boiled eggs, avocado, and nuts provides a healthy dose of protein and healthy fats to keep campers energized throughout the day. Slice the avocado and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning, and include a variety of nuts like almonds, cashews, or walnuts for added flavor and crunch.
Vegetarian Snack Boxes
- Hummus, Pita, and Veggies: A vegetarian snack box filled with hummus, pita, and veggies is both delicious and nutritious. Choose whole-grain pita bread or pita chips and an assortment of colorful veggies like bell peppers, cucumber, and carrots for dipping. Add some olives or feta cheese for extra flavor and variety.
- Caprese Skewers and Olives: A fresh and flavorful snack box option, Caprese skewers are made with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella pearls, and basil leaves. Drizzle with a little balsamic glaze and pair with a side of olives for a delightful Mediterranean-inspired snack box.
- Edamame, Seaweed Snacks, and Rice Crackers: For a tasty vegetarian snack box, combine steamed edamame, seaweed snacks, and rice crackers. Add a small container of soy sauce or a spicy dipping sauce for an extra burst of flavor.
Themed Bento Boxes
- Sushi-Inspired Bento: Create a sushi-inspired bento box with a selection of sushi rolls, edamame, and a side of pickled ginger and wasabi. Opt for rolls with a variety of fresh vegetables, avocado, or cooked seafood, and pack a small container of soy sauce for dipping. Don’t forget to use an ice pack and insulated lunch box for this one.
- Mediterranean Bento: A Mediterranean bento box is a delicious and nutritious lunch option. Include a variety of items like falafel, stuffed grape leaves, tabbouleh, and hummus, along with pita bread, olives, and cherry tomatoes. Add a side of tzatziki sauce for dipping and a sprinkle of feta cheese for added flavor.
- Taco Salad Bento: For a fun and flavorful bento box, try a taco salad theme. Combine seasoned ground turkey or grilled chicken, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, and corn in a container. Pack a side of tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and salsa for a delicious and interactive lunch experience.
Cold Noodle Dishes
Asian Noodle Salads
- Cold Sesame Noodles: For a flavorful and refreshing Asian-inspired lunch, try cold sesame noodles. Toss cooked noodles with a sesame-ginger dressing, then top with julienned vegetables like cucumber, bell peppers, and carrots. Add some grilled chicken or tofu for a protein boost and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro. Pack the dressing separately to prevent sogginess.
- Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad: A light and tangy option, Vietnamese rice noodle salad is perfect for a summer camp lunch. Combine cooked rice noodles with shredded lettuce, cucumber, carrots, and fresh herbs like mint and cilantro. Top with grilled chicken or shrimp and drizzle with a tangy lime-fish sauce dressing. Don't forget to pack the dressing separately to keep the salad fresh and crisp.
- Soba Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce: A delicious and satisfying dish, soba noodle salad with peanut sauce is sure to please. Toss cooked soba noodles with a creamy peanut sauce and an assortment of crunchy vegetables like bell peppers, snow peas, and shredded cabbage. Add grilled chicken or tofu for extra protein and garnish with chopped peanuts and green onions. Pack the peanut sauce separately to ensure the noodles stay fresh.
Italian-Inspired Pasta Salads
- Antipasto Pasta Salad: Bring the flavors of Italy to your camp lunch with an antipasto pasta salad. Combine cooked pasta with a variety of Italian favorites like salami, provolone cheese, olives, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers. Toss with a light Italian dressing and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese. Be sure to pack the dressing separately to keep the salad at its best.
- Caprese Pasta Salad: A simple yet delightful option, Caprese pasta salad combines cooked pasta with ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and a touch of olive oil for an authentic Italian experience. To prevent sogginess, pack the balsamic glaze separately and assemble the salad just before eating.
- Lemon and Herb Orzo Salad: For a light and zesty pasta salad, try a lemon and herb orzo salad. Toss cooked orzo with a lemony dressing, then add chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and a mix of fresh herbs like parsley, dill, and mint. Include some crumbled feta cheese for a burst of flavor and pack the dressing separately to keep the salad fresh until lunchtime.
Tips for Keeping Camp Lunches Fresh
1. Using Ice Packs and Insulated Lunch Bags
One of the key aspects of keeping camp lunches fresh and appetizing is proper temperature control. Using ice packs and insulated lunch bags can help maintain the freshness and safety of your child's meal throughout the day. Place ice packs at the bottom of the lunch bag and arrange the food containers on top to ensure optimal cooling. Additionally, look for insulated bags with separate compartments to keep cold items away from items that don't require cooling.
3. Preparing and Packing Ingredients Separately When Needed
2. Choosing Sturdy, Leak-Proof Containers
Selecting the right containers for your camp lunches can make all the difference in preserving the quality of the meal. Opt for sturdy, leak-proof containers to avoid spills and maintain freshness. Bento-style containers with multiple compartments are great for keeping different food items separate, while airtight containers with locking lids can help prevent leaks and keep food fresh.
For certain dishes, it is essential to prepare and pack ingredients separately to maintain the optimal texture and flavor of the meal. Pack dressings or sauces on the side to ensure that your child enjoys a delicious and fresh-tasting lunch at camp.
Get Creative and Get to Cooking
Get creative and get to cooking with these meal ideas! They are designed with your child in mind, to help keep them energized and satisfied throughout their camp day.
We encourage you to have fun with your camp lunch packing, using these meal ideas as a starting point to mix and match ingredients and flavors. Experiment with different combinations, add in your kid's favorite foods, and discover new recipes that your little camper will love.
If you’re still trying to find that perfect summer camp outfit, check out Meems for an adorable collection of clothing and accessories for babies and kids, featuring popular brands and a wide range of products. Enjoy free shipping on orders over $50 and free returns. Sign up for our newsletter to receive a 15% discount on your next order and stay updated on the latest products and offers.